Winter is coming. Prepare with 4 Sign Maintenance Tips.

With our recent cold temperatures around the Pacific Northwest, it seems like a gentle reminder that winter is coming. Routine maintenance at each change of season can optimize your sign.

Maximize your sign and parking lot light visibility with these 4 signage maintenance tips:

1.) Prepare for the worst. In Western Washington we are no strangers to precipitation. In fact, on average the Seattle area receives 38.25 inches of rain with an average of 154 days of precipitation. The wet weather can bring issues to signs that should be carefully regarded. Debris, moss and other foreign materials can get caught in drain holes inside signage and could cause the sign to short out. Stay proactive and try to maintain your sign’s cleanliness at least once a month during the winter.


2.) Time your lot. Parking lot light timers should be reset with Daylight Saving so you are sure they are on when you want them to be. If your timer is on a photo cell, make sure it is working properly and not shaded by trees.


3.) Birds: control their landing pads. Birds can rack up thousands of dollars in property damage and cleanup costs. Their droppings contain acidic substances that can stain or even corrode certain building materials if left unattended. If you notice these flying nuisances making landing pads out of your sign or parking lot, contact us for some bird spikes that can be installed on parking lot lights or signs by our technicians.


4.) Light it up. Longer nights and earlier sunsets provide a perfect time to go check if those signs and parking lot lights are functioning properly. One lot light out can create security hazards. Check them out and let us know if you need one of our service technicians to get you back in running order.


Parking lot light



Precipitation Facts

- Contrary to popular belief, Washington is ranked as the 29th wettest state in the US

- The wettest state is Hawaii with an average annual precipitation of 63.70 inches

- 1 inch of rain on 1 square acre of land can produce about 27,154 gallons of water and weigh about 113 tons.

- The wettest year in Washington was recorded in 1996 with average precipitation of 49.20 inches

- The longest rain-free period in the United States was 767 days (2 years, 37 days) from October 3, 1912 to November 8, 1914 in Bagdad, California.

- The continental United States receives enough precipitation during an average year to cover the States to a depth of about 30 inches.

- Approximately 70% of the annual precipitation in the US returns to the atmosphere by evaporation. The remaining 30% eventually reaches a stream, lake or ocean.


(1) 3 Reasons to Invest in Bird Control Products. Ashley Johnson. March 10, 2014.

(2) Interesting United States Weather Facts and Extremes. November 19, 2014.

(3) USGS – Rain and Precipitation. November 19, 2014.

Leave a Comment